Thursday, October 2, 2008

Blue jeans for breast cancer awareness

Tomorrow is National Lee Denim Day. Wear your jeans and make a donation to help find a cure for breast cancer.

I'm an eight-year survivor. My grandmother and aunt have also survived. I've lost a coworker to the disease, and several other women I know have been through some kind of scare after finding a lump or receiving the results of a mammogram.

I was 33 when I was diagnosed, and my son was just four. I worked summer school that year. There were many times when, due to scheduling conflicts and my family living far way, I had no place to leave him, so I had to take him along with me after school to the hospital for my daily radiation treatment. Picture me in one of those awful open-backed gowns, asking the ladies in the waiting room to keep an eye on him while I went in to the "chamber". My little boy sat on the floor with his coloring book and crayons and sat patiently, while several kind-hearted women of various ages and different stages of illness watched over him for me. I remember those good, strong women and offer up a good wish for them, wherever they may be.
Please share the Lee National Denim Day link with family, friends, and coworkers - and donate to this urgent cause. May our mothers, sisters, daughters, and girlfriends see a future without breast cancer.


Betty said...

I will check out the link. Congrats on being an eight year survivor. We all need to do as much as we can to work towards a future without breast cancer. Last year my daughter and I were in a 5 mile walk to raise money for the cause. Every little bit counts.

Lana Banana said...

amiga, tu eres una inspiracion . . . on so many different levels.

yo fui al orange county susan g. komen foundation 5K walk last weekend and raised $1500 in the blink of an eye. almost $2M were raised for that one day! and if i can raise money, ANYONE can.

you're amazing.

katied said...

I pictured everything you wrote and couldn't help but thinking what strong person you must be. Congrats and I will pass this on.

Jennifer said...

Cassy -- Yes, congratulations on being an 8 year survivor. That must have been a really scary time for you, and you had to be strong for not only yourself, but your little boy, too.

I have a friend going through chemotherapy right now for breast cancer and another friend who just found out she has the gene that predisposes her to both breast and ovarian cancer. Suddenly I find that life isn't as safe as I once thought it was.

Thank you for publicizing this important cause. I will check out the link.

Mr. Magoo... said...

Tienes un valor muy especial, eres muy valiente y eres una gran persona, has enfrentado la adversidad con una gran garra, y eso, eso es simplemente admirable.
Compartire el link como lo has pedido, a mi manera coopero para esta causa, ya sea en una carrera, o como hacen en mexico, comprando un balon de futbo "rosa" donde una parte de los fondos son donados a la causa.
Un abrazo, y de nuevo, mi admiracion para ti.

lisa said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by and thanks for letting me know about National Demin Day - I didn't know there was such a thing.

I have an aunt that survived breast cancer and I'm so happy they removed the whole tumor. I glad you're ok too.


jakill said...

Hi fellow survivor. I'm ahead of you with 15 years since my single mastectomy. It's good to be alive.

Sandi said...

Congrats on being a survivor. I am also a survivor but of Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I was pregnant during it all and had chemotherapy during my pregnancy. I had to take my kids to my treatments but my husband was always there to help. I am thankful for him and that I have a healthy baby girl!!

Dra Irasema said...

Te felicito por tu fuerza y por la sensibilidad para transmitir lo que sientes.
Actualmente tengo a mi madre de 71 años con su segundo Cancer de mama, el primero fue a sus 42 años.Andamos en quimioterapias y esas cosas, mi madre al igual que tu es una guerrera invensible.

Te contre en blogcatalog y te segui la pista.

Espero seguir leyendo tu blog y te invito a leer el mio.
Saludos desde Tijuana, Mexico.

Dra. Irasema Diaz

abby villa said...

i like your blog style. thanks for opening up about your experience with cancer, and congratulations for making it through. my mother's a cancer survivor. she's 76